It’s March…. Let the Madness begin!! March Madness is my favorite time of year. 68 teams compete to win the National Championship. It’s been called the most exciting event in sports and I agree! It’s a one and done tournament and every team has a chance to win. Each game can present something amazing- something you never thought you would see, or you never thought was possible! We can learn a lot about sales from sports.
Consider the similarities:
- Sales Is A Competition – if you don’t maintain a competitive advantage, there is another person or team (company) there to take your place. “If we don’t take care of our customers, someone else will.” – Edgar Mitchell
- A Team Is Only As Strong As Its Weakest Link – every player performs their role and contributes to team success; a weak link can make for a weak team. A good teammate is interested in the outcomes of the team, not just what it means for them as an individual.
- Fundamentals Are Key – a team without the proper fundamentals, i.e. knowledge, training and practice, is setting itself up for failure. Fundamentals play a critical role in the final outcome.
- Learning To Win Involves Failure – in sports, teammates and coaches help to pick each other up from failures. In sales, having a strong team culture can give your team the support they need to get back up and sell (win) after getting beat. Use failure as an opportunity to learn and improve.
- After Success, Always Be Improving – Top teams and players continue to meet success with an even greater desire to improve. Consider Bill Self and the Kansas Jayhawks – 14 Straight Big XII Championships. (I had to put that in)
So, while you’re watching the Big Dance and become frustrated because your bracket is busted after the second round, remember you’re in sales training!